Home > About APPS > Bylaws
AS AMENDED AND RESTATED THROUGH January 20, 2016
Article 1. Name, Address and Language
Section 1.1 : Name
This academic society’s official name shall be Asian Pacific Prostate Society (APPS)
Section 1.2 : Address
- The place in Korea is Banpodaero 222, Catholic University Seongui Campus Medical School Room 639, Seochu-gu, Seoul and is the legal representative address of the society.
- Change of the address can only occur with the majority vote at the meeting of Board of Directors.
- Typically, the registered address will reside where the Secretary General is a resident thereof.
- Upon decision by the Board of Directors, the society may establish a satellite office where a member of the Board resides.
Section 1.3 : Language
The society’s official language shall be English or Korean and either language can be used for all the society’s activities.
Section 1.4 : Constitution
The APPS consists of individual members with a major professional interest, either as a clinician or as a scientist involved in research into disease of the prostate. To achieve its goals and achievements, The Society will concentrate on Asian Pacific countries.
Article 2. Purposes and Activities
Section 2.1 : Purpose
APPS intend to contribute to the development of science in all aspects of prostatic disease through research and exchange of information in the medical science and friendship among members.
Section 2.2 : Activities
The society shall carry out the following projects to achieve the society’s purpose as mentioned above
- Host regular international and domestic science and medical conferences
- Publish academic research papers and booklets reflecting the society’s goals
- Perform research in setting field-wide standards for treating prostrate disease
- Boost the society’s capability in the field of science internationally
- Other activities deemed necessary by the Board of Directors
Article 3. Membership
Section 3.1 : Members
The society shall bestow individual membership to individuals that are deemed to meet the goals of the society. Members will be defined by full time members, associate members, special members, and honorary members
- Full time members: All medical professionals and holders of Doctorate degrees in the field of medical science who have registered as members through the society’s website shall have the full right and responsibilities of the society. By rule, the society’s full time members shall make timely payments of his/her membership fees.
- Associate members: Individuals such as nurses, assistant to doctors, data analysts, clinical practitioners, holders of Doctorate degrees that are interested in radiological therapy, clinical trial testers, pathologists, those in the process of new drug development, in the field hospital management shall have the right and responsibilities as Associate members. By rule, associate members shall make timely payments of his/her membership fees.
- Honorary members: When a member that has enjoyed domestic and international reputation for the exceptional contribution made to the society retires, the member can earn the right as the Honorary member through the approval of the Board of Directors. Annual society membership fees shall be waived. The chairman of the society shall automatically receive Honorary membership at the end of his/her term.
Section 3.2 : Approval of Membership
Any applicant for the membership should have qualification as stipulated in Section 3.1, and have approval of the Board of Directors except the regular member, and should go through the required registration procedure.
Article 4. Membership Dues
Section 4.1 : Annual Dues
The Board of Directors shall determine the annual membership fee. The annual membership fee shall cover all of the society’s operational expenses, membership voting, distribution of society’s newsletters, management of the society’s website, and discount benefits for the members’ publishing and conference attendance.
Section 4.2 : Payment of Dues
Members shall make membership fee payment at the beginning of the year as determined by the society’s protocols and processes
Section 4.3 : Termination of membership
- Members that are delinquent in annual membership fees by over 24 months
- The Board of Directors of the society reserves the right to terminate an individual’s membership in writing if the individual does not follow the society’s policies and procedures.
Section 4.4 : Rights
All full time and associate members that fulfill their duties as the society’s members shall have the right to make suggestions to the society and recommend representatives as well as have the right to vote. Other members shall have the right to vote.
Section 4.5 : Secession
Any member can secede from APPS on his/her own will, if the member decides to withdraw for an important reason, by submission of notice of secession.
Article 5. Meeting of the Membership
Section 5.1 : Annual Conference
The society shall host an annual conference that brings together academia, practitioners, scientists, and other industry partners to further the knowledge in the field. The host country shall be determined by the local operating committee where the society’s chairman resides a year prior to the event and dates shall be set in consultation by the Board of Directors and the current local operating committee. The chairman of the society shall appoint the next annual conference’s head of operation by receiving nominations from the host country’s local head of prostrate related academic society. The head of operation’s term shall be limited to the appointed year in which the annual conference is held.
Section 5.2 : Special meeting
Special meetings of the entire membership may be called at any time by either the President of The Society or the Board of Directors.
Article 6. Management
Section 6.1 : Structure of the Board
The society shall organize and appoint the following to execute its activities and oversee the progress
- One Chairman
- One Secretary General
- One Deputy Secretary General
- One successor to the current Chairman
- Others appointed by the Secretary of General that are deemed to have made significant contribution to the operation of the society
Section 6.2 : Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors shall be comprised by the individuals mentioned in Article 6-1 and the Chairman and the Secretary General may appoint additional members
- The Secretary General shall act as chairperson
- Meeting notes accompanying the Board of Directors’ decisions shall be signed by the Secretary General and one other Board member
Section 6.3 : Agenda of the Board of Directors
The Board shall discuss and suggest solutions to the following items
All agenda of the Board of Directors shall require majority of vote as well as the majority of the Board members present
- Summon of meeting
- Resolution on admission of special and honorary members
- Resolution on dismissal of regular members.
- Other significant matters that relate to achieving the society’s goals, and acquisition and disposal of major assets.
Section 6.4 : Election of Directors
- By 2020, President shall be determined from the following six countries: Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, China, and Australia
- Starting in 2020, President will be elected by majority vote of Board of Directors
- The Secretary of General will be determined by the majority vote of the Board of Directors as well as the majority of the Board members present
- The Deputy Secretary of General shall be appointed by the Secretary of General himself
Section 6.5 : Duties and Tenures of Directors
- The President is responsible for all external activities relating to reaching the society’s goals and term is for two years
- The President cannot be re-elected
- The Secretary of General is the head of all operations and is the legal representative of the society. As such, He/She supervises and makes plans on activities of APPS and mid-to-long term financial schedules and the tenure lasts. The Secretary of General’s term is term in office two years and can be re-appointed with the approval from the Board of Directors.
- The tenure of the Board member, who is appointed as a substitute for vacancy shall be the rest of the remaining tenure of the former member.
Article 7. Committees
Section 7.1 : Committees
The standing committee shall include the academic program committee, regional operation committee, executive committee, and advisory committee.
Section 7.2 : Standing Committees
- Academic Program Committee
This committee shall be consisted of three members from Korea and one member from 6 other countries and the President of The Society shall appoint the members of this committee.
- Regional Operation Committee
This committee shall should organize the Annual Meeting, establish the scientific program and provide cooperative procedures for the meeting. The President of The Society shall appoint the President of Local Organizing Committee who is approved by the representative Society of Prostatic Disease of the country in which the Annual Meeting is going to be held. The President of this Committee shall appoint a Secretary General of Local Organizing Committee, who shall provide special act to support the Annual Meeting.
Article 8. Finance and Accounting
Section 8.1 : Funding Sources
The Board of Directors’ funding sources shall be derived from the annual membership fee, conference registration fees, and other donations.
Section 8.2 : Fiscal Year
The society’s fiscal year shall start on the 1st day of January and end on the 31st day of December.
Section 8.3 : Additional Sources of Income
The society may generate additional revenue from conference booths, publishing activities, and advertising.
Article 9. Amendment to Articles of Bylaws
The Bylaws of the Society may be amended according to the following procedure.
Section 9.1 : Procedure
Any proposal for amendment to the bylaws must be submitted to the Board of Directors at least 3 months before it meets. In no case shall the bylaws be amended unless the amendment was adopted by two-third of the Board of Directors
Article 10. Dissolution
Dissolution shall be proposed, processed and voted upon in the same manner as stipulated in these Bylaws for Amendments.